The City of Richmond invites commercial, institutional or multi-family residential buildings to participate in our 2016 Building Energy Challenge! The Challenge is a fun, informative, and friendly competition to measure, monitor and reduce energy and water waste, and increase building operators’ energy management skills.
Benefits for participants include:
- Subsidized and free training opportunities for your building operations staff. The Challenge will cover 100% of the costs of eligible training programs, up to $750 per individual participant (up to $2,250 per participating organization). Eligible training programs include the Building Owners and Managers Association’s e-Energy Training for Building Operators.
- Energy coaching support for your energy benchmarking, identifying your training plan and undertaking energy upgrades
- Access to BC Hydro and Fortis BC energy rebate programs
- Opportunities to benchmark the energy performance of your buildings
- Opportunities to reduce energy and water use and unnecessary operating costs
- Networking and peer learning opportunities
- Recognition for participation and energy leadership
Who is the Challenge for?
The Challenge is for commercial, institutional and multi-family residential buildings. Any building owner, manager, or operator of such a property in Richmond is welcome to join. The ideal participant for the Challenge trainings is a facility staff member who influences energy use (e.g. a property manager, facility manager, building operator, energy manager, or other building management staff person) and who would be involved in ongoing building energy benchmarking.
Participants will be asked to:
- Commit approximately 8 hours over the course of the program year, to participate in Challenge events and training, benchmark buildings, and learn about energy saving opportunities. The Challenge will provide many valuable opportunities for additional engagement – training, networking, energy coaching, and more.
- Provide building data for energy benchmarking purposes, including energy consumption data for at least one year and building attributes information.
- Energy benchmark buildings registered in the program with the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager — your Energy Coach can assist.
Training and Resources
Between December 2015 and February 2016, the City of Richmond hosted a series of energy management trainings for Challenge participants. The trainings were delivered by Prism Engineering. Slides for these trainings are listed below: